Request a Refund


Credit balances due to excess Title IV funds will be processed automatically after the start of the semester. Credit balances due to excess GI or Yellow Ribbon funds will be automatically reviewed by the Office of Military and Veteran Student Services.

Students whose existing credit balance is the result of non-title IV funds can request a refund or they can transfer the credit to a future term. Both of these options can be completed on GWeb. Once logged in, select Student Records and Registration, then Student Accounts Menu and lastly, Request for Refund. You can also download our tutorial on Requesting a Refund in GWeb (PDF). Credit balances due to a wire transfer or a credit card payment will be returned via the method in which the funds were transferred to GW.

Please note: Refunds are not processed on the last business day of each month.


Parents who do not authorize GW to refund excess Parent PLUS loan funds to their students will automatically receive a refund of those funds via check to the mailing address on their loan application. Parents who want to receive their refund via direct deposit must authorize GW to issue Parent PLUS refunds to their student, and work with their student to establish the correct account information in their eBill refund profile. 

Students Receiving Veteran Benefits

Students requesting a refund of Post 9/11 GI Bill and/or Yellow Ribbon funds should log into the GWeb information system and complete the online request. Refund requests for Post 9/11 GI Bill and/or Yellow Ribbon funds must be approved by our Office of Military and Veteran Student Services before the Student Accounts Office will release the funds.

Didn't receive your refund? If your refund check was mailed more than 2 weeks ago but you have not yet received it, please email to determine the status of your refund. It may be necessary for you to complete a Stop Payment Form (PDF).