Parent/Guardian Access

Some students may wish to elect a third party (parent, guardian, etc.) to access and review their academic and financial records with the University. Additionally, some students even may wish to authorize a third party to conduct business with the University on their or their estate's behalf. Please review the followings levels of access and authorizations that a student may grant to third parties.

Student eBill Authorized User

Students can add up to 5 authorized users in their Student Account eBill system. Authorized users have access to the eBill system only, and do not have access to view grades, course information, or financial aid award letters. GW staff and faculty cannot discuss or disclose information related to your student account to an authorized user without a student first granting FERPA consent for an individual. Authorized user status does not constitute FERPA consent. 

FERPA Consent 

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education. GW may not disclose students’ education records without their consent, unless an exception applies. A student may provide consent for GW to disclose and discuss their education records with individuals by completing and submitting a Student Consent form from the Office of the Registrar website. FERPA consent does not automatically make an individual an authorized user; that access is separate and setup by the student in their Student Account eBill

Power of Attorney

A power of attorney gives one or more persons the power to act on your behalf as your agent. The power may be limited to a particular activity or be general in its application. The power may be temporary or permanent, and it may take effect immediately or only upon the occurrence of a specific event. A power of attorney may be revoked, but most states require written notice of revocation to the person named to act for you. A power of attorney is accepted in all states, but the rules and requirements differ from state to state. If power of attorney has been granted by you to an agent, then that agent may submit requests for a refund or make decisions related to your student account.

Executor of Estate

If a student has passed away and they have established an executor of estate in their will or one was assigned to their estate by the governing state or local laws, that executor may contact the University to settle a student's account. The executor of an estate should contact the Division of Student Affairs.