Title IV FAQ's

What are federal Title IV funds?
Title IV funds are federal student aid funds, which are from federal student aid programs administered by the U.S. Department of Education. Title IV funds include Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan, Direct Graduate PLUS Loan, Direct PLUS Loan, Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), Federal Perkins Loan, and TEACH grants. It does not include scholarships from the University or other private organizations.
How are Title IV funds applied to my student account?
The Department of Education requires that Title IV funds be applied only to specific allowable charges. Allowable charges include: tuition, mandatory fees, and room and board contracted by the University. Fees assessed by the University such as library fees, health center fees, and security fees for housing are not authorized charges for which Title IV funds can be automatically applied.
Why do I have an excess of Title IV funds?
Excess Title IV funds occur when the total amount of Title IV aid funds disbursed to your student account exceeds charges for tuition, mandatory fees, and room and board contracted by the University.
What is the purpose of the Title IV authorization form?
The purpose of this form is to allow students or parents to authorize the university to apply federal financial aid proceeds to pay charges related to a prior term, future term, or changes other than tuition, mandatory fees, and room and board contracted by the university because without authorization these are not charges for which Title IV funds can be automatically applied. This does NOT affect prior year balances. The completion of this form is entirely voluntary.
How will signing the authorization form affect my account?
A signed authorization permits the university to apply any excess Title IV funds to existing non‐allowable charges as well as any future non‐allowable charges during the loan period. This may help prevent an “account hold” for unpaid charges, which would prohibit you from registering and enrolling for future semesters, obtaining grades/transcripts, and receiving your diploma.
If I authorize George Washington to hold my credit balance, will I still be able to request a refund for the credit balance on my student account?
Yes, your authorization is permission for the University to hold excess Title IV funds on your student account but it does not prevent you from requesting a refund. You may request a refund of excess Title IV funds or any other eligible credit balance on your student account during your enrollment at the University.
Do I need to sign a new authorization form each semester?
No, completing this form once will stand for the duration of your enrollment. You may use this form to authorize or rescind authorization at any time.
Does having an excess of Title IV funds mean that I have a credit balance on my student account?
Not necessarily. An excess of Title IV funds means that the amount of your federal financial aid exceeds the allowable charges (as defined above). You may login to your eBill account to determine if you have a credit balance or an amount due to the University.
Where should I send my signed Title IV authorization form?
You may reply to the Title IV email that was sent to you. If you did not receive an email, you may obtain a form in the Student Services Hub or print the form from the Student Accounts website and fax to (571) 553-1099, email to [email protected] or submit it to one of the Student Services Specialists in the Student Services Hub.
If I still have questions, who can I contact?
Please contact our office if you have any additional questions or concerns.