Third Party Billing

The Student Accounts Office accepts authorizations from third party sponsors to invoice the sponsor directly for authorized charges of the sponsored student. A third party sponsor is an embassy, government agency, or private company that pays some or all of a student’s charges directly to GW. The payment cannot be contingent on academic performance, employee reimbursement, or any other condition.  Please note that any portion of the student's bill not covered by the third party is due by the first day of the semester in order to avoid any late fees and interest. If a sponsor refuses to make payment, or if GW does not receive payment by the end of the semester, the charges will be reversed back to the student’s account and the student is responsible for remitting payment.

Authorizations must be on sponsor letterhead and include:

  • Sponsor name, billing address, and telephone number

  • Student’s name

  • Student's GWid

  • Dollar amount and definition of fees and charges to be paid

  • The semester(s) authorized

  • Fall 2020: Due by September 4th, 2020

  • Spring 2021: Due by January 15th, 2021

  • Summer 2021: Due by May 21st, 2021

  • Fall 2021: Due by September 3rd, 2021


Please note: If GW receives the authorization letter after the deadline, the student is responsible for any late fees accrued.

Authorizations should be sent to:

The George Washington University
Student Accounts Office
Attn: Third Party Billing
45155 Research Place, Suite 250
Ashburn, VA 20147

Fax: 703-723-3482
Phone: 202-994-7350
Email: [email protected]

Third party sponsors will be invoiced in October, February and June, for the Fall, Spring and Summer semesters, respectively. The extension of credit by the university for an anticipated third party payment does not relieve a student from any financial responsibilities to the university. The student is responsible for any charges not paid by the sponsor.

Students seeking reimbursement from their employers should refer to Employer Reimbursement.